Thursday, September 9, 2010

Friday, September 3, 2010 HYDERABAD: City of Pearls and Bangles


Siva arrived around 11 a.m. to take me to Charminar, the Bazaar where I could find all sorts of pearls and bangles. The plan had been for me to visit the palace which was under repair during my previous visit to Hyderabad but we learned late Thursday night that the palace was closed on Fridays. The drive to Charminar took nearly an hour and as we arrived I heard the calls of the iman over the loudspeaker. By the time we figured out where the bangle area of the market was located and inquired about parking we learned that all the shops were closed until about 4 and then would only be open until 5:30 or so when the next call would be signaled. One of the vendors explained that people were preparing for Ramazan the following Friday, a holiday within the holiday of Ramadan. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me earlier that it was a Friday in a city populated highly with Muslims most of whom are craftsmen and jewelrysmiths. Oh well, I had a lovely tour of the periphery of the Bazaar and a driving tour of the city. In the evening Bhavya performed some of the classical and Indian folk dance she was learning at school. We watched Arundhati, a Tamil movie packed full of love story, revenge, singing, dancing and reincarnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment