Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sunday, September 26, 2010 The Big Journey Ahead


Tara and I began the big journey home with a South Indian breakfast of idli, sambar and coconut chutney – compliments of our home stay. They were thrilled the other day when we asked about having a South Indian breakfast and we easily finished off the plate of 10 idli. Bags packed and taxi loaded, we set off for the airport with the windows down. At 8:30 it was already hot and humid, though the traffic was somewhat light. There was a 10 K walk for the heart association taking place on the streets of Ernakulum and many of its participants ran barefoot. Our taxi driver said there was a prize of 1 Lakh Rupees- that is 100,000 Rs. (~$2000 USD).

We managed to check in at the airport with minimal confusion and when the plane arrived in Mumbai I got off and Tara continued on to Delhi. The International Airport would not let me into the terminal to check my bags early, the new law only allows ticketed passengers in as soon as three hours before a flight. As I made my way to the pre-paid taxi stand I was aggressively pursued by a Sikh tout who offered to take my in his auto-rickshaw for a ‘good price’. Signs all over the airport including the area I was walking announced that this activity was illegal though I’d be surprised to see it enforced. One taxi ride later I arrived at the Leela, a high end hotel near the airport. I checked my bags with the bell boy and found a comfy seat to sit down and read for a while. I arranged for some spa services during my layover and thought I would treat myself to a tasty meal before the long journey home.

Photo: Waiting Area in Cochin Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment