Monday, September 20, 2010

Monday, September 13, 2010 Day One in Varkala


I woke early to a tapping sound made by a man in the courtyard who was repairing some bamboo deck furniture. I could see the water from the swing on my balcony but was determined to find a better room or a better price after breakfast. I returned to Hungry Eye for a pot of rich coffee, eggs and toast made from a dark brown bread and pineapple juice. As I slurped the remains of the juice I felt something hard hit my tongue. I spat it out and at first what I thought to be an eye from the pineapple, at closer inspection I discovered that it was a cockroach. I was slightly disgusted but then laughed. It was probably in the glass or had just flown in. I have now survived leeches and a cockroach in my mouth!

I wandered back and forth along the cliff the Indian vendors tried to coax me inside their shops with, “cheap price madam, everything one hundred rupees (~$3 USD), looking is free.” I informed them that I would return later to which they replied: promise? The first time I was requested to promise it made me laugh. After a dozen or so times I realized it was a line they all learned somewhere, either from a movie or earlier traveler. I was able to negotiate a decent rate for multiple nights at a bamboo cottage and quickly returned to my guest house to pack up. On my way out of the guest house I took a wrong turn and when I went to correct I stepped on a slick rock and fell. The weight of my packs made it difficult to stand but I safely stood and lifted my skirt to see a scrape that caressed my left kneecap and traveled six inches up my inner thigh. It could have been worse, I thought, I could have twisted an ankle.

I wobbled to my new lodging and cleaned and dressed the wound. It was certainly sore and tender. I thought it would be best to not risk getting sand in it so I walked around along the cliff and read my book the remainder of the day. A few people suggested that I go to the hospital but it was only a scrape and it would have to be very serious for me to go to the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment