Saturday, September 11, 2010

Monday, September 6, 2010 Later Monday


At the airport in Kochi I spotted another traveler with skin fairer than my own and asked her if she would like to share a taxi to Fort Kochi since it was a prepaid taxi (set rate). Dominika and I got to know each other a little over the hour long ride to Fort Kochi; most of the time in the car was due to traffic. She has been in India since early June, on break from University in London and well in the India mindset of questioning every price, negotiating – I was working my way there in this first day of solo travel. My plan was to spend the night in Kochi, search accommodation for when I returned to stay there with Tara for one week then travel on to Kumily on Tuesday. During the taxi ride we learned that on Tuesday there would be a country-wide strike in India and that all public and government agencies would be closed. This meant no bus service to Kumily and I was lucky to arrive Monday in Kochi, so I revised my plan to stay two nights in Kochi and travel to Kumily on Wednesday.

When we arrived in Fort Kochi we stopped first at the guest house I had booked. It was a Lonely Planet pick and a poor one at that. I should have shopped around a little bit but for some reason I thought it was the lowest rate I would find. The room was pretty bare-boned, but it was clean with a small balcony and a functioning showerhead with great water pressure. I dropped my bag then accompanied her to another guest house where the staff was livelier and more refreshing. Two hours had passed by the time we had completed all the documents and passports photocopied which is done at every place you stay in India.

Once official business was complete we thought we would check out the validity of the strike to find out if restaurants would be open and if not buy some things for the morning. The responses varied between shopkeepers so we each bought a few things then headed towards the water to see the Chinese fishing nets. Fort Kochi is small but since it is on a peninsula it is easy to become disoriented with a map and better to wander and ask directions. We located the area where you can buy fish from fisherman and have someone cook it for you by the water, something I will have to do upon my return. Next it was time for a refreshing coconut then off to dinner in a very good restaurant with amazing seafood and great conversation. I am glad I asked her to share a taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment